Persistance (Phase 1) and Forum Update

Forum Update

Hello everyone! As you may have noticed, the forums have gotten a shiny new update. Since Marosia will be a game which is deeply dependent on and supportive of its community, it’s only right that we treat the foundation of that community with just as much respect as the gane by giving it solid modern support right from the beginning.

If you have heard of Discourse, then you may be familiar with its features, but some of the primary reasons I decided to make this transition are as follows:

1. Sleek, Modern, and Mobile
    Discourse features a sleek look with all the modern features you’d never find in some of the older forum software out there, and it is fully mobile responsive (complete with push notifications!).

2. Discussion-Centric Structure
    I have categories set because I am sure that is what most of us are used to, but Discourse was designed to be centered around discussions, not threads. That means we get real-time updates when new posts are made in a topic we are viewing, and there are no such thing as pages anymore with inifinite scrolling!

3. Slack and Patreon Integration
    I know a few of you have been wondering how you can support this game, and I’ve replied by saying I am not allowing donations until the game comes out - well I have put some forethought into this. I plan to use Patreon after release, and I wanted our community to be able to get some benefits from donating with things like special badges as a additional way to thank our contributors. In addition, I wanted to address supporting a chat medium for our members, but I didn’t want to use tired old IRC. It’s time for an upgrade to Slack! - er, well, it will be. I still need to configure these integrations but they are in the works, so keep an eye out for more news on these features soon.
    Now, onto the game development additions - these are the features of Persistance (Phase 1).

4. Trust Levels
    Discourse has a built-in immunity to spam by using trust levels. Users slowly gain priviledges on the forum based on how much they contribute and how. This also helps new members get acclimated to the interface, and the community. Regular users also get a special board to post in!

5. Achievements
    By default, Discourse supports achievements to reward members of the community for doing various valuable acts! However, I have turned most of these off (except for trust levels), and the reason is I have a totally different intention for this feature. Once the game is developed I want to tie in-game events to achievements that will give users badges if they meet the conditions. So your significant actions with your characters in game can be worn with pride on your profile :smile:

Features

The features completed here, and for the next announcement, are all centered around the passage of time. Marosia is a persistant browser-based game (PBBG) which means that when you log off, the world doesn’t stop to wait for you. Time will pass, and the effects of this will be seen in this Persistance update in the following features.

1. Time

2. Aging

3. Hunger

4. Health

5. Project Progress and Completion

What’s Next

1. Animal Spawning and Attacks

2. Lifespans, Old Age, and Natural Death

3. Starvation

4. Genetics and Child Spawning

Discourse dares to call itself discussion-centric, but have you SEEN the theme? There is so much pointless whitespace in people posts that it’s almost physically painful to look at. So much so, that I wrote a stylish theme for another Discourse forum that works perfectly here as well, which I will share with you all.

.post-menu-area { /* default is 20px, let's make that smaller */
		margin: 0;
	}
	.topic-body .regular { /* default is 15px, let's make that smaller */
  	  margin-top: 5px;
	}
	.post-actions { /*default is 10px, let's make that smaller */
  	  margin-bottom: 5px;
	}
	p { /* default is, like, 10px or so?  7 is plenty to distinguish paragraphs from newlines */
		margin-bottom: 5px;
	}
	blockquote, .quote { /* Quotes have to have bigger margins, or they don't display correctly */
        margin-bottom: 5px !important;
    }
	blockquote {
        padding: 6px !important;
                                        }
	.cooked, .d-editor-preview, html { /* default is 1.4 ; a good setting is 1.2 for unzoomed, 1 is fine if you zoom in */
	    line-height: 1.1;
	}
	.avatar { /* Mostly-square avatars with rounded corners; delete if this doesn't interest you.  !important necessary to override because im too lazy to find the right tag */
	    border-radius: 15% !important;
	}

This should work equally well on dark and light themes, please let me know if you experience a problem using this style.
“URLs on the domain” : community.marosia.com